I was summoned for jury duty some years ago, and during voir dire, the attorney asked me whether I could obey the judge's instructions. I answered, "It all depends upon what those instructions are." Irritatingly, the judge asked me to explain myself. I explained that if I were on a jury back in the 1850s, and a person was on trial for violating the Fugitive Slave Act by assisting a runaway slave, I would vote for acquittal regardless of the judge's instructions. The reason is that slavery is unjust and any law supporting it is unjust. Needless to say, I was dismissed from jury duty.

Walter Williams, 11 July 2007

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Self-Analysis

Initially, as I began writing this blog, I was definitely against the death penalty. As I continued to research the US judicial system in dealing with the methods employed for the death penalty, my opinion slightly changed as I read about both sides of the issue. I still am against the death penalty, but I feel like it is an essential part of our justice system. I feel like harsh crimes deserve harsh punishments; however, we must also keep in mind the rights of the defendants. As a result, we must do whatever we can in order to make it as humane as possible. In my theory post, I proposed that lethal injection was by far the most humane method employed for the administration of capital punishment. The methods used in the execution of criminals have evloved over the years as people have become more aware of the rights of the defendants as well as those of the victims. The court has reviewed the humanenes of the death penalty in court cases such as Atkins vs. Virginia. At one point, the death penalty was altogether outlawed, but years later it was reinstated as part of our judicial system. Lethal injection is the most widespread method used in the United States today. This issue involves many other correlated elements. The fact that the death penalty itself receives so much opposition makes it difficult to consider whether or not the methods employed in executions are humane.
In researching for this blog, I learned a lot about the death penalty and the ways in which it is administered. This assignment, as opposed to a paper, involved more interaction with other people. I was able to learn a lot about other topics as I responded to other people’s blog posts. I was able, through this blog assignment, to be more openminded in accepting other people comments on my point of view even if they contradicted my personal beliefs. I learned that the actions of the US judicial system, though they might not have an immediate impact on my life at this stage, will impact me as an adult living in this country.

8 comments:

Cody Green said...

Why/how is the death penalty an essential part of our justice system? This comment confused me. Are you saying that it is so integral to how justice is administered in our country that it can't be abolished?

Allison said...

I think your evolution of thought is really interesting. However, I have to agree with you and disagree with Cody. I also believe that the death sentence will never be abolished in our country. I think the fact that the founders prevented citizens from facing "cruel and unusual punishment" is enough to allow the death penalty. It is not unusual by any means, and the modern ways of killing criminals are very humane. Although I don't necessary LOVE the death penalty, I don't think it is going anywhere anytime soon. Some things in our constitution may not necessarily fit the times today, such as the Electoral College. Despite the inappropriateness of these things in today's society, they are nonetheless a part of our Constitution.

d.ashilei said...

I'm with Cody. How is it essential to our system? I think it's essential if you mean to say that abolishing it would cause controversy amongst the state and central government; therefore we should just keep it for the sake of saving face. But that's farfetched, I know. I agree that it will never be abolished. There is too much ambiguity derived from it, such as cruel and unusual punishment. Who is too say what is cruel and unusua?. When you really think about it, taking into consideration how often each execution method is used,...the only punishment in this country that is "unsual" today is execution by firing squad and stoning. Electric chairs and lethal injections are actually very common therefore making them usual. They're still cruel and inappropriate if you ask me. But they aren't that cruel and unusual for the present time. The death penalty needs to be done away with as far I'm concerned, but it won't be, so why do we constantly debate it? It's like beating a dead horse.

Imran said...

It is really great that blogging helped you evolve in your thought process concerning the death penalty. The death penalty definitely has valid arguments for both sides. Sometimes crimes are so heinous that your emotions lead you to want a very harsh punishment. However, I do agree with Cody, in that it would help to explain yourself when you say that it is necessary in the justice system. How is it a better form of punishment than its alternatives, like a life sentence? How is it essential in your definition of justice?

Behind The Lens said...

Your change in opinion about capital punishment is very interesting. While it may have not changed your stance about the issue, I am glad that your research helped note the both aspects of capital punishment. You also seem to have found a balance between the extremities of each side. At first I was very surprised when you stated that lethal injection was the solution to cruel and unusual punishment, but after reading your self analysis post I realize how you may think that it is the best type of punishment compared to the others.
I also definitely agree with you that this project has allowed us to go beyond just our topic, but also view the entire topic of the death penalty and humanities in general. It has allowed us to make connections and view others opinions about the issue. Overall, I definitely agree that this was a better alternative to a paper about a humanities issue.

Champ said...

I'm agree with Cody and d.ashilei . The death penalty is barbaric and is not essential to our system! The death penalty does not deter murders, and people that have not been caught and have murdered someone will murder more people to preserve their own life. Holding criminals in prison for life is not only progressive, but its safe. People watch too much TV, and shows like Prison Break, heightened this hysteria.

Champ said...

I think its great that you have learned so much about the death penalty through blogging! I still do not agree with the death penalty, even lethal injection. Who's right is it to take ones life, and how can you do it through the current legal process without making it cruel and unusual punishment? Inmates hang themselves because awaiting that final shot thats going to kill them is too much. We need to get away from "an eye for an eye" way of justice as a society, its just not humane.

dudleysharp said...

Over a period of two years of study, I changed from anti death penalty to pro death penalty.

I found that all arguements against the death penalty were either false or, when comparing various subtopics of the death penalty, from both anti and pro sides, that the pro side was stronger.

sharpjfa@aol.com